Thursday, May 27, 2010

[x] Continue reading aloud.

"The princess shall see you now," said the head servant.

The guard nodded as he entered the room. This was the first time he had ever entered the princess' private chamber. He swallowed nervously as the head servant shut the door behind her.

"So you came," said the princess. "I am glad."

"Of course, princess."

The guard knelt before her in reverence. She shook her head and ordered him to stand up.

"No need for formalities here, old friend."

"Thank you," said he. "It is an honor to be in your presence."

The princess smiled sadly at the guard.

"Do you know why I called for you?"

The guard paused for a moment.

"How long do you have left?"

"A few months, maybe less. But that isn't why you are here. Listen closely, my friend."

"Of course, princess."

"This is my final order," she said. "You are to travel alone. Bring no steed and no armor. Take only your sword and uniform. Travel to the dragon's cavern. Swing down your blade. And bring back the dragon's head."

Then, she handed him a letter sealed with the royal crest.

"You shall open this once you have completed your task."

"..."

The guard stood silent, unsure of what to say.

"Will you grant this final request for me?" asked the princess.

He paused for only a moment.

"Of course, princess," said the guard.

"That's wrong," she said. "That isn't the right answer. Try again, will you?"

He paused again.

"Of course, my friend."


There was a heavy weight upon my shoulder. Flandre had fallen asleep with her head leaning against me. She was clearly exhausted from yesterday. And her injury remained unhealed. She needed rest. Why did she insist on having me read this to her, anyway?

"I don't get her at all," I mumbled. "How am I supposed to understand if she refuses to tell me?"

I closed the book and sighed. It was almost morning. I gently lifted her up and carried her back to her bed. After tucking her in the sheets, I took a moment to watch her peaceful sleeping face. Flandre wore a cute little smile as she slept, as if she was having a pleasant dream.

"A dream, eh?"

Well, that wasn't any of my concern. After one last glance, I quietly left her room. My mind wandered aimlessly as I headed back up. The spiraling staircase back to the first floor was long. I took a glance at my watch. The sun would be rising soon. But it was still early for breakfast, meaning that I had some time to kill.

Or so I thought until I made it to the first floor. There was something out of place along the hallways. It took a few moments for me to recognize it. There was a pink and purple blur moving about. I paused to wipe the dust off my glasses before looking again. Indeed, a familiar magician was walking around the hallways.

Patchouli was alone, and she seemed to be looking for something.
[ ] Ignore the girl.
[ ] Greet her politely.
[ ] Call out cheerfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment