Sunday, June 6, 2010

I told her everything, from meeting up with Patchouli in the early morning to examining Koakuma's body and the crime scene in the woods. I noted that her eyes narrowed at three key parts of my story. The first was when I mentioned the beast I saw in the clock tower. The second was when I told her Patchouli's last words as I fell unconscious in the library. The third was when I got to the part where Meiling examined the rope hanging from the tree.

"I see," she said.

Flandre closed her eyes as she was thinking. It was odd. This time around, she didn't ask too many questions. For the most part, she was only listening to the details of my story. She didn't even seem surprised when I told her that Koakuma had been killed. Did she already expect such a development? But if she did, why didn't she try to stop it before it happened?

"I'm sorry," she whispered. "This is my fault. I should have figured it out earlier.."

"Flandre? What are you saying?"

"I'm saying that my theory was right. I was just too scared to accept it."

The little sister stared at me with damp eyes. A single tear rolled down her cheek. Without warning, she collapsed into my arms.

"I-I should have made my move this morning.. (hic).. if I did, then maybe... (hic).. I could have saved everyone..."

I patted her back encouragingly.

"It'll be alright," I said. "Please don't cry."

She started sobbing more loudly.

"It's too late..(hic).. it's useless to do anything.. (hic).. it's too late now.."

"Don't say that. It's never too late."

Flandre looked up at me angrily.

"And what proof do you have when you say that?" she cried. "I've already seen how this is going to end! From the information we have, there aren't any options left! Everything is going to fall apart like a tower of cards! What's the damn point, eh?"

I paused for a moment. I didn't understand her 'theory', or how she came up with this conclusion. I had no idea what she meant, but even if she probably was right, I couldn't just give up. I slowly wiped her tears away and gave her a small smile.

"Because we're still alive," I said. "Isn't that enough?"

Her eyes widened in surprise. Slowly, she stepped back from me.

"Still... alive?" she repeated.

Flandre turned away so I couldn't see her face. She didn't say anything for the longest time.

I remembered the first time I met her. This girl was surprised when I spoke to her and asked for her name. I remembered the bewildered expression in her face as she tried to remember. 'Flandre', she said. She let me in her room that day, curious to what I was all about. We talked for a while about this and that. She began to smile, little by little.

On a whim, I asked if she could come upstairs with me. The girl immediately refused, of course. She wasn't allowed to go upstairs. This room in the basement was her proper place. Her sister would get angry if she left. No matter what I did or said, she wouldn't come out. Not until I did something that she didn't expect.

My mind returned to the present. The little sister stood before me, her shoulders heavy with the weight of the world. I walked right up to her. Without another word, I took her by the hand and smiled.

"Would you like to come with me upstairs?"

"E-eh?"

"I thought you might enjoy some company," I said. "You look like you could use some fresh air."

Flandre lowered her head. She took a moment to wipe the tears off her face. Then, she managed to smile back at me. She tightened her grip on my hand as she spoke.

"I'd like that," she whispered.

With renewed determination, the two of us headed back upstairs.
[ ] Let her lead the way.
[ ] Have her follow you.
[ ] We need to move together.

No comments:

Post a Comment